The roof is the largest part of any home, and its essential function is to protect the home and all the possessions in it. To perform this vital task, the roof needs to be structurally sound. Unfortunately, we often neglect the roof, and only check or schedule roof maintenance when it is leaking or eventually breaks.
Below is ABC Roofing’s simple guide to home reroofing.
How Do You Know Your Roof Is Damaged?
There are some very obvious signs that your roof needs repair or replacing, but if you don’t know what to look out for, you may miss them. Areas that need regular checking are:
When checking the roof from inside the attic, look out for:
- Beams of light shining through the eves
All these signs are an indication that the roof is leaking.
The roof shingles need to be checked regularly, especially after a storm. The following are signs that a roofing contractor needs to attend to the shingles:
- They are not lying flat.
- They are loose.
- They are cracked.
- They appear buckled or damaged.
- Shingle granules are noticed in downspouts and gutters.
The flashing seals vents, skylights, and chimneys from rain and weather. If flashing cracks or breaks, it needs repair or replacement as the seal will be compromised. It is suggested that you upgrade to metal flashing if you have an older home that has flashing constructed of another material.
When examining your roof, other signs you should look for are:
A Dropping Or Sagging Area
If you notice your roof dropping or sagging, you need a roofing contractor to urgently investigate the cause. They will check for trapped moisture, rotting boards, or sagging spots and replace the roof where necessary. A roof that is damaged at its lowest points, is usually as a result of trapped moisture.
If you notice moss, mold, or fungi on your roof, usually at the lowest point, you can be sure the culprit is once again trapped moisture. Using a stiff brush, do away with the plants, and examine the area underneath for any damage. Unwanted foliage is a very common problem in the area of the roof that does not see much sunlight.
The Benefits Of Hiring A Roofing Contractor
Hiring a professional in any field is always beneficial, but when it comes to your roof, “Do It Yourself” should never be considered. Some benefits of leaving roofing repairs to the professional roofing contractors are:
Leaving the roof repairs to the professionals will save you money. Some obvious reasons are:
- They do a proper cost estimate, so know exactly what they need for the job and how long it will take.
- They often buy in bulk or have contractual agreements with the suppliers, so they get high-quality materials at a better price.
- They also have all the correct tools and don’t need to purchase tools that they are unlikely to use again.
- They should be fully licensed and insured (make sure you confirm this before signing any contracts) so they will be performing the task according to the National Roofing Contracting Association specifications and will be able to cover any costs if your property is accidentally damaged.
Unless you are in the roofing business, you will not have the experience or expertise that the professionals have. The advantages of having experience in the roofing field are:
- They have worked on various roofs and know the different approaches that need to be taken.
- They are not amateurs, so their workmanship and artistry are usually excellent and insured.
Roofing repairs are a risky business and not a task to be attempted by amateurs. A professional roofing contractor will:
- Know the best approach to take and how to access the very high or difficult to reach areas of the roof.
- They will have all the safety clothing and equipment that is needed to keep the workers and your property safe.
A professional roofing contractor will be able to offer a warranty on his workmanship. The materials he uses will also come with a warranty of their own. You can also be assured that a professional will be insured and licensed to trade in the state of Florida.
When Should You Schedule A Roof Inspection?
The best time to schedule a roofing inspection and maintenance is early to mid-winter when the Florida climate is temperate, and the working conditions are ideal.
Don’t procrastinate or wait for the rainy season when your roof is leaking, and you are forced to contact the roofing professionals. Contact ABC Roofing Corp today at (954) 344 4622 for a routine inspection or any roofing problem large or small.