Dealing with a roof replacement project can be overwhelming for some homeowners. Between your work, home life, and other responsibilities, there doesn’t seem to be enough time in the day to handle replacing your roof.
Ideally, your residential roof will last an average of 25 years before any replacement is needed. The lifespan of your roof will be affected by a variety of factors, including seasonal changes and harsh weather. Preventative maintenance can help prolong the lifespan of your roof.
Read on to learn more about the basics of roof replacements.
A Basic Roofing Replacement Checklist
With proper planning and the help of a professional roofer, your roofing replacement can proceed with relative ease. The following is a basic checklist of things you need to discuss with your roofer:
- Enlist the services of a reputable roofer. This will ensure your replacement proceeds as planned. A reputable roofing company will keep your project on track, keep expenses in line with the assigned budget, and ensure the project is up to code.
- Discuss your budget with your contractor. Different styles and materials can affect the final cost. It is also advised to plan for potential delays due to unpredictable weather forecasts or other developments. These delays will also increase your overall cost.
- Know your roofing materials. It’s important to understand the different types of roofing materials available. This will help you choose a material that suits your specific needs and budget.
- Schedule the replacement for an ideal time. Try to schedule your replacement in a way that won’t have a drastic impact on your home. For example, you would never want to schedule a roof replacement during hurricane season, as your household contents would be exposed to unpredictable weather.
You should never replace your roof without the proper permits from your city’s building and zoning office. A professional and licensed roofing company, such as ABC Roofing Corp, will have many of the finer details already taken care of. For example, you won’t need to worry that the proper permits are in place.
What Happens During A Roof Replacement?
It’s good to have a basic understanding of how a roofing replacement works. Once the contract is signed, there is a set process to follow that will ensure your new roof is installed without much hassle or fuss.
The basic overview of a roof replacement goes like this:
- Existing roof coverings will be removed. This includes shingles, flashing, and drip edging.
- Roofers will replace any bad supports with new sheathing.
- Roofers will install a roofing underlayment system.
- New drip edging will be installed
- New flashing will be applied if necessary. Particularly around areas or joints where residential roof leaks commonly occur.
- The replacement is completed once a building inspector has signed off on the replacement.
Roof Replacements And More In South Florida
Does your roof need repair, routine maintenance, or a full replacement? Look no further than ABC Roofing Corp, your trusted Coral Springs roofers. We are a family-owned and operated business, serving the residents of South Florida for over 30 years. For questions or to schedule your inspection, call us today at 954-344-4622.