Hurricane season is approaching, and with that comes strong winds and rains. Is your roof ready for the onslaught?
A lot of homeowners’ neglect roof maintenance because the areas needing repair or maintenance are not usually visible. Roof maintenance can be complex and dangerous, making it necessary to be done by a quality roofing contractor. This is not the area to show off your “Do It Yourself” skills, but do you know who to contact and what questions you should ask them?
What To Expect From A Quality Roofing Contractor?
Once you have decided that you need a professional with experience in roof installation and maintenance, one who has the equipment they need for the job and contacts within the industry to attend to your roofing needs, what is the next step?
Deciding on a roofing contractor can be a very confusing and frustrating exercise if you don’t know the right questions to ask or what to expect. Here are some expectations that any quality roofing contractor should meet:
The consultation, the most critical part of the process, is where the contractor will evaluate the roof and provide a solution. Most roofing contractors offer free consultations. The best consultations are face to face, as it allows the homeowner and contractor the opportunity to assess each other’s personality and demeanor and determine whether they will be able to work together comfortably.
The contractor must get onto the roof to evaluate the problem. If they do not get onto the roof, do not consider hiring them. While on the roof, the contractor may take pictures or a video of the roofing system and the problem areas. A good contractor will provide you with a detailed report and a proposed solution in layman’s terms, not industry jargon that you may not understand.
The estimate must be in writing and signed. It must include materials that will be used, the expected time frame of completion, and should factor in any unexpected costs that may arise.
Questions To Ask Your Prospective Roof Contractor
Before accepting the estimate and signing any contracts, you should ask the following questions:
- What is the full company name and physical address? Reputable roofing contractors will be able to provide you with their physical address. If they cannot do so, be wary of them.
- Do they have a valid license and insurance in the state that they are operating?
- How long have they been in business and what experience do they have? Evaluate their online reviews, they will give you a good idea of their reputation. Local businesses should also be able to provide you with a list of previous clients who would be happy to recommend their services.
- Do they supply a warranty for their workmanship and materials?
- What is the payment schedule? Beware of contractors that demand full payment upfront.
- How do they propose to keep your property safe during the process and do they abide by safety regulations for their workers while on-site?
- Will the project manager remain on-site and be available to discuss the process and any concerns you may have?
What You Should Expect During Roof Maintenance
Before the contractors move on-site, you should prepare for them by doing the following:
- Remove as much as you can from the attic and areas of the interior that will be exposed for any length of time, especially items of value.
- Cover as much landscaping as possible.
- Put a protective covering over as much of your furniture and countertops as possible.
- Warn your neighbors that people will be working on your roof and that it may be noisy. (This may not seem like a big deal, but it’s definitely the courteous thing to do!)
Repairing or replacing a roof is a very messy and very noisy, but a quality roofing contractor will do whatever he can to minimize disruption to your property.
During the repair or renovation, the contractors should respect and make every attempt to protect your landscaping, driveway, and personal property against structural damage and the elements. They should use the materials that you were quoted for, not substandard or cheaper materials, and make every effort to complete the task in the allocated time.
They should at all times use regulated safety gear to protect themselves and take the necessary precautions to keep members of the household safe too.
After the roof has been completed, the workers should remove the debris and old material before expecting the final payment.
Why You Should Choose ABC Roofing Corp For All Your Roofing Needs
ABC Roofing Corp has served clients in South Florida for over 30 years. A large, family-owned company that is known for its honesty and loyalty, strives to meet their customers’ every need. Their unique characteristics include:
- They use top of the line, Miami-Dade County approved material.
- They offer the GAF Golden Pledge Guarantee.
- They offer the Gaco Western Silicone Coating system with a 10-year manufacturing warranty.
- They are A+ rated with BBB.
- They are GAF Master Elite Installers of Silicone Roof Coating systems for commercial and residential roofs.
If you’re thinking about renovating your roof, big or small, contact ABC Roofing Corp today at 954-344-4622 today!