Concrete roof tiles are an extremely popular roofing choice. They should, however, always be installed and maintained by qualified roofing professionals to decrease the need for repair. No matter how well you install and maintain your roof, repairs are an inevitable part of owning a home or commercial building. It is therefore important that you use qualified roofing professionals to manage these repairs but also that you know what to expect during the roofing repair job. .
Why Do I Need to Repair My Concrete Roof Tiles?
There are many reasons that can lead to roof tiles needing to be repaired or replaced. For example, if the tiles were not installed or maintained properly then it could lead to problems such as cracking or sliding out. Even if they were properly installed and maintained, normal wear and tear is inevitable. Accidents and nature are also common causes of roofing problems. For example, falling debris may hit tiles causing them to crack and break. Cracks and other damage can eventually lead to other problems such as roof leaks if not addressed. The consequences of roof leaks can range from being slightly uncomfortable to serious health hazards (mold, etc). It is therefore important that you repair a damaged roof as soon as possible.
What Goes into Repairing Concrete Roof Tiles?
It must be stressed again that roof repair is extremely complicated and dangerous and is best left up to the professionals. Having said that, it is important to know what these professionals are doing so that you can make sure you are getting the best possible service from them. The following is a basic illustration of how damaged concrete roof tiles are repaired. It is not intended to be guide to repairing damaged tiles but merely to illustrate what to expect when tiles are being repaired.
The steps are:
- Identify the signs: Sometimes there will be no signs that your roof needs repair which is why regular maintenance is important. Whereas on other occasions there may be leaks into the building or perhaps even visible cracks in the tile. Identifying the signs will allow you to know what kind of repair needs to be done. For example, a leak may be a result of a cracked tile or a damaged roofing membrane.
- Identify the tiles: The next phase is to identify which tiles are damaged and need to be replaced.
- Determine the scale of the damage. Sometimes small holes or cracks can be filled with roofing cement such as RT-600.
- Get the replacement tiles: Acquiring the correct replacement tiles is an essential step in the roof repair process. The replacement tiles should ideally be the same tile type and color as your existing concrete tiles. Essentially, it should be the same tiles. This is because if you get a different one, it will not be aesthetically pleasing. However, sometimes the roof is too old and the tiles or color is no longer manufactured. Even if the roof is newer, replacement tiles will never look exactly like the exiting due to the elements, ie. Sun, rain etc… Your roofing professionals should be able to advise you further if the same type or color of tile is no longer available.
- Replace the damaged tile: The damaged tile has been identified in an earlier step. Use a crowbar to gently lift the tile to the left of the damaged one so that it is no longer resting on the damaged tile. Remove the damaged tile and dispose of it properly. Check the underlayment, if damaged, repair and seal the area prior to installing the tile.
- Slide the new tile into the area where the damaged tile was. Adhered the tile to the roof with a Polyfoam or tile adhesive. This step should be repeated on all damaged sections of the roof.
- Your existing roof tiles may be slightly more faded due to the elements compared to your new tile, because of this, many people choose to use existing tiles from less visible parts of the roof to replace the damaged areas.
- After this, the roof repair should be completed and any signs of roof damage identified should have been addressed. Lastly, it is important that your roofing professionals examined the cause of the roof damage to ensure that it is avoidable in the future (if possible).
As mentioned earlier, roof repair is something that all homeowners have to deal with at some time in their lives. You can minimize the need for this by making sure your roofing tiles are properly installed and maintained by qualified professionals. If repairs are needed, it also best to make use of professionals as it is safer and the work will be of a high quality. For more information on roof repairs contact ABC Roofing Corp at (954) 344-4622.